Our creative, proven approach delivers long-lasting results.
Brain injuries that occur due to a medical condition (like an aneurysm) or trauma (like a fall or car accident) often thrust. While neuro rehab can’t reverse damage to the brain, it can help remove the barriers that stand in the way of living the best life possible.
As a leader in neuro rehab for more than 30 years, Rehab Without Walls ® addresses the unique needs of people who have experienced an acquired brain injury (ABI) or traumatic brain injury (TBI). Our proven approach combines multiple specialties and we’re not just focused on what patients can do today; we’re looking months and years down the road.
Our approach to brain injury rehabilitation
Our innovative model of care is based on research, best practices and our many years of experience with complex neurorehabilitation. The model has four key parts:
We start with an in-depth assessment to determine the patient’s current level of functioning in three categories:
- Activities – which tasks the patient can and can’t do successfully
- Impairments – which bodily functions the patient does and doesn’t have
- Participation – which life situations the patient can and can’t take part in
We work with the patient and family to establish goals that include ambitious, yet realistic, timelines for meeting them. Goals can be functional. They can also be personal.
Assembling a interdisciplinary team
A brain injury can affect so many parts of the body and mind, so it is important for multiple specialties (physical therapists, vocational counselors, neuropsychologists and others) to work together. The team is overseen by a physician and led by a clinical coordinator who ensures that all team members and family members are on the same page.
Creating and implementing a personalized rehab plan
Our brain injury rehab plans are truly customized for each patient. For example, someone who works in an office may relearn fine motor skills on a computer, while someone who is a firefighter would have. It simply means getting back to life as fully and as independently as possible following illness or injury.
Where we provide brain injury rehabilitation
We offer brain injury programs in three types of care settings:
- Residential facilities (adults) – These centers provide 24/7 care, as well as intensive neuro rehab therapy for patients who are on the path to recovery. More about our residential facilities
- Residential school (children) – The Texas Hill Country School offers brain injury and autism services for children and adolescents ages 6 – 22
- Home and community (adults and children) – With this approach, therapy takes place in the home, at the workplace, in school or elsewhere in the patient’s community. More about home and community rehab
- Outpatient neuro rehab (adults and children) – In selected locations, we offer both individual and group sessions in fully equipped rehabilitation centers. Learn more about outpatient neuro rehab
Focused on the future
“The most important thing Rehab Without Walls does on a daily basis is focus on getting our patients back to life.”